VAT registration in Bulgaria
VAT registration of the Company
At the moment of its registration the company will not be VAT registered.
The company is obliged to submit documents for VAT registration in any of the following cases:
- If its turnover for the last 12 months has exceeded 50 000 leva (25 500 euro);
- If the value of its intra-community acquisitions for the current calendar year is going to exceed 20 000 leva (10 200 euro);
- If it is going to supply or render intra-community services.
Even if the company is not obliged to register, the VAT registration is necessary if the company intends to perform intra community trade, because the EU VAT number allows the company to make intra-community acquisitions of goods without VAT.
So, any company that does not meet the criteria for obligatory VAT registration may apply for a voluntary registration.
In Bulgaria any company, which is registered for VAT purposes, has also EU VAT code, which may be verified at the EU VIES website and allows the company to apply zero rated VAT for intra community supplies and acquisitions of goods and services.
In order to obtain the VAT registration, the manager or one of the managers of the company must come to Bulgaria and give us a power of attorney, legalized by the notary public. This could not be done at your first visit to Bulgaria when the documents for the company registration were submitted to the Commercial Register, because then the company has not yet been approved and has not had a registration code.
The VAT registration takes up to 14 days after submission of the documents at the tax administration and costs 200 euro.
- After VAT registration the company will have a valid VAT number in the EU VIES website.
- The VAT rate for intra-community operations will be zero.
- The VAT rate for operations inside Bulgaria will be 20%.